Friday, September 26, 2008

My View on the Presidential Debate

Who won the debate? Tonight the presidential debate was on, which I did not watch. I havent really followed politics at all this year, or any other year for that matter. When it comes to the presidential race and voting I feel absolutely powerless. I guess I can attribute this to a few different reasons. First, I hate the electoral process. I really dont like the fact that presidents are elected by the electoral college. My vote seems almost meaningless unless I happen to be the same color as the state I live in. Then there's the two party system. You have your choice between candidate A and B, and if you dont like either, well your'e basically out of luck. Lastly, you have the presidential model. Specific qualities, that if you dont meet you will most likely never become an American president. I dont mean things like born in America, but rather white, male, and protestant. "Requiring" candidates to fit a certain mold cripples a democratic government. I personally hope Obama wins if for no other reason then to hopefully bust open our stereotypical view of what a president should look like and be. Hopefully if he does win, we can start a trend of accepting a wider variety of candidates and therefore increasing the level of democracy we have in this country.

No comments: